Shopping: How Much Should You Spend On An Engagement Ring?

by - 7/17/2017

Hello my darlings, today I would like to touch on the topic of Engagement ring shopping. If you're like me who is straight forward about your likes and dislikes, aka- super picky. Then you've probably dreamed and designed your perfect engagement ring in your mind waaaaay before you met your Mr Right. Then come the reality hit of urgh... how much should you spend on it? The expected amount continues to get more expensive as time goes. But at the end of the day, every couple just want a heartfelt proposal marked with a perfect ring when they decide to take their relationship to the next level.




The how many Months Salary Rule?!
Maybe you have come across the 1, 2 or 3 month's salary rule. The most popular one is the one-month salary rule which implies that you should buy an engagement ring using your one-month gross income. With the recent years, this notion has moved from 1 month gross income to 2 and now 3 months. Depending on where you live too, I've worked in New York City and let me tell you I've seen some ridiculously big rocks in my office, and, it's considered to be "normal". For me it's not realistic to be in debt for the first few years of your marriage just to pay off that perfect engagement ring. Here are some thoughts to consider that will make your ring shopping experience less stressful.

Financial Situation
Let's be real, do you really need to spend that much on a ring? Do you need to compare yourself to the celebrities or the socialites? You have to consider which financial option you will be comfortable with. Can you opt to finance the entire cost or opt for the down payment plan? This will depend on factors such as your current income, how many bills you have to pay per month and whether the payment plan will affect your future positively or negatively.

Your Sweetheart's Expectation
You should have a good idea of your darling sweetheart's expectation when you dream about your future together. Your goal is to get her the ring she will wear proudly despite its price. If you do not intend to make the proposal a surprise, then you can window shop together to try on rings and get an exact idea of the perfect ring. But in case you opt for a surprise proposal which many couples prefer, then you may opt getting ideas from her friends, or try to figure out the hint she is giving you. Also consider her personal style and the gift which she loved in the past.

Meanings behind the ring
The right engagement ring should be able to showcase her unique personality. Perhaps your sweetheart would prefer a sentimental heirloom as her ring. Or maybe she is not so much into the traditions and she would prefer to have something custom made. Then you can consult a custom designer such as Diamonds for Less creates a stunning diamond ring in Toronto. Check them out or other similar jewelers.

Personal Beliefs and Value system
What is your couple style? What are the things that are important to you? Would she be happy if you spend so much or so little on her engagement ring? Does public opinion affect you in some ways or not? Does she even want a diamond ring? You need to spend the amount that you will both be comfortable and happy to commit.


I hope you find these tips helpful, I know, it's a bit daunting as to where to start, since there are so many options and factors to consider. If you're wondering if that photo is my E-ring, well, it's my travelling ring! It was taken during our Babymoon. My fingers were swollen back then so I got a CZ bridal set to wear. I always opt for them when I'm traveling or when I don't want to damage/loose my actual rings. As long as the two of you are happy, who cares about what the social norm of the "expected" price tag on an engagement ring is?

Thanks for stopping by and have a fantastic week loves~

Bisous xx







You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. These are such great tips! I feel like I sometimes have unrealistic expectations of what I would want my engagement ring to look like (when the time comes!) so this is definitely helpful to read.


    Allie

    www.champagne-tuesdays.com


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally had unrealistic expectations for my e-ring too haha oops. I also find it helpful to actually try on a bunch of different styles to see what look good on your finger! :)

      Delete
  2. Having a traveling set is such a good idea, especially if you're worried about losing it on the go. I never know how men pay for these. It must be so stressful with the payment on top of hoping the girl likes it.

    xx Yasmin
    http://banglesandbungalows.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad a got the traveling set! I know right? Guys also get the pressure from their peers for not spoiling their wive with big rocks which I think is kinda unnecessary.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing Angela! Finding your style as a couple can be so challenging, but these tips are incredibly helpful!


    x,
    Chanel | Je M'appelle Chanel

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1-3 months salary is a good rule I suppose. I never gave it much thought before but I think I would also be thrilled with a family heirloom as well!

    www.prettyinleather.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of friends who got the family diamond but with a new setting. Which feels like the best of two worlds if you like the idea.

      Delete

FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM

VISITORS