When To Mark Your Marriage With An Eternity Ring

by - 9/08/2017

Hello my darlings~ Before I got married I never knew there was a thing call the eternity ring as anniversary gift. I thought you get an engagement ring a wedding band as a symbol of solemn commitment and that's it. So to dig into a bit of the history. A ring itself is a symbol of eternity or infinity.
In ancient times a pledge rings showed the Ouroboros, a serpent biting its tail, to represent never-ending time. The designs we recognize as eternity rings today first appeared in the eighteenth century. Having the full circle of a ring inlaid with a continuous line of jewels is an opulent idea, and also costly. These early rings were set with paste jewels (diamanté), white topaz, or a mixture of semi-precious stones.


When Eternity Rings Were Traditionally Given

Traditionally eternity ring was given to mark a significant wedding anniversary, usually the tenth. They were also given on the birth of a first child as a way for the man to say thank you for giving him an heir. It's definitely a bit sexist back in the days. But today I'm sure most women will welcome a push present and just being spoiled.

The Practicality Of An Eternity Ring

Some people find eternity ring uncomfortable and not practical for everyday wear and opt for a half or 3/4 eternity ring. Diamonds are nature’s hardest gemstone and, as such, can easily scratch other surfaces. Modern jewellery allows for bezel setting or channel inlaying of the diamonds allowing you to find a beautiful eternity ring which won’t damage your clothes, furniture, accessories, or other jewellery.

When Are Eternity Rings Given Now?

Conventions have changed, and become virtually fluid. Some couples complete their bridal sets with an eternity ring as early as their wedding receptions, or on their first wedding anniversaries. Some get an eternity ring on the anniversary of their first date, or their first kiss. It really is up to you. 


So... do I have an eternity ring? Not yet, and honestly I'm not sure if we will get one. Personally I find wearing two rings on one finger already heavy. I don't think I will ever want a third ring on the same finger. Maybe an eternity ring to wear on my right hand. But I do like the idea of having an eternity ring for the tenth wedding anniversary. So I guess we shall see! 

Thanks for stopping by and I hope this post gave you some background of the eternity ring. 
Have a great weekend my darlings!

Bisous xx







You May Also Like

8 comments

  1. This is such an interesting post! I really enjoyed learning more about eternity rings! Thanks for sharing!

    http://roadesque.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still waiting for an engagement ring haha! So an eternity ring would be a major feat for me :P Thanks for sharing the history behind it. I never knew!

    xx Yasmin
    http://banglesandbungalows.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww I'm glad you enjoy reading it! Fingers crossed for that engagement ring!

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely read, I love the idea of eternity ring. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it dear.

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Thanks for sharing, babe!
    Adi xx
    fancycorrectitude.com
    instagram.com/fancycorrectitude

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM

VISITORS